Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Once upon a time . . . in a land of little creatures

Once upon a time there was a little girl who loved to doodle around on scratch paper. Her favorite subject matter was of little creatures with personality. The artists she admired were Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss), Charles Schulz, many Disney illustrators, especially the art of Mary Blair, and two other women she hoped to one day be like. They are Holly Hobbie and Betsey Clark. Many hours were spent mimicking these amazing artists and hoping to one day be in her own studio creating characters just as she imagined these artists to do each day.

As the stories go with these icons of illustration, each had a road that did not lead directly to a studio every day. However, each found a path that eventually lead this little girl to discover their amazing talents and a desire to become an artist in her own right.

Today I am sharing a collection that originates from those beginnings back when I was that little girl hoping to become an artist like those I admired. The collection is My Deer My Darling. It has a nostalgic flavor I have pulled from my earliest memories of my little toddler outfits and room decor, as my memory serves me. These are my childhood doodles turned current collection. Just like with your own children, you can never pick a favorite, but I would say this collection holds a special place in my heart.

No comments: